Academic Support - Educational Specialist
Hiring Unit: UHM Library Services
Location: Mānoa Campus, Hamilton Library, Gov Docs and Maps Dept
Position Number: 0079446T
Closing Date: January 04, 2017
Salary: Band B; Salary schedules and placement information
Full Time, Temporary - Not to Exceed: June 30, 2017
To begin approximately January 2017, pending position clearance and/or availability of funding.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains current and creates new geospatial services for MAGIS (Maps, Aerial Photographs and Geographic Information Systems), serving out remote sensing and GIS data and assists with making geospatial data available to the library’s users.
- Develops workflows and creates protocols for digital quality assurance and quality control areas.
- Selects GIS software, data, hardware and peripherals.
- Trains and supervises student help to assist with GIS services and website maintenance.
- Coordinates with other departments regarding acquisition and renewal of GIS software licenses.
- Learns and applies methods and techniques to troubleshoot computers dedicated to GIS functions.
- Oversees the maintenance of back-end GIS/web programming implementations such as Geoserver or ArcGIS server.
- Provides expert GIS consultation services to users with varying needs and abilities ranging from basic GIS skills to research level analysis involving manipulating, customizing, querying, or modeling of data.
- Coordinates with professional librarians on all aspects of geospatial data including outreach, data acquisition, collection management, and planning for services in the campus user community.
- Assesses ongoing campus user needs for GIS.
- Designs, creates and delivers GIS training and documentation to patrons.
- Builds new and maintains existing campus-wide access to remote sensing and GIS data.
- Conducts troubleshooting for public computers and back-end GIS implementations.
- Oversees the process of web-enabling born digital collections or create digital derivatives of the library's paper map collections.
- Maintains proficiency in the use of a large format scanner and printer and oversees its maintenance and supplies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree in Geography, Urban and Regional Planning, Geographical Information Systems, or related field and 3 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for geographical information systems ; or equivalent education/training or experience.
- Considerable working knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) as demonstrated by the broad knowledge of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving concepts, principles and methodologies.
- Considerable working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations and theories and systems associated with Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Demonstrated ability to resolve wide ranging complex problems through the use of creative reasoning and logic to accurately determine the cause of the problems and the resolution of the problems in an effective, innovative and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally and by preparation of reports and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
- For supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Demonstrated ability to manage GIS projects from start to finish.
- Demonstrated ability to use, test, analyze (at an advanced level), document, and provide training for geographic information systems software.
- Ability to utilize high-level thinking at the conceptual level for maintaining, growing, and continually improving geospatial services provided by MAGIS.
- Knowledge of spatial data formats and metadata issues.
- Knowledge of GIS and remote sensing data and data format conversions.
- Knowledge of different GIS file formats such as shapefiles and geodatabases.
- Knowledge of back-end GIS software/hardware such as ArcGIS and ArcSDE.
- Ability to investigate and link servers to front end interfaces such as a geoportal.
- Knowledge of GIS programming and scripting (e.g., VBA, Python).
- Knowledge of or ability to learn processes to web-enable a paper collection from creating a derivative, adding metadata including georeferencing information to make it findable and downloadable off the web.
- Familiarity with different metadata schemes including creation of institutional templates.
- Master’s degree in GIS.
- Experience in ESRI’s suite of GIS products.
- Knowledge of Internet service-oriented architectures, especially web portal technologies, and web services development relevant to GIS.
- Knowledge of other geospatial software such as ENVI and other open source GIS software.
- Knowledge and experience in protocols such as Web Mapping Services (WMS) and Web Feature Services (WFS)
- Knowledge of graphics and vector-based software.
- Ability to create quality assurance/quality control protocols for scanning and digitization.
- Experience with large format scanner/printers and ability to trouble shoot problems associated with them.
- Demonstrated experience with planning and executing significant improvements in programs, showing initiative, independence and sound judgment in problem-solving.
- Experience in an academic research context.
- High degree of computer literacy and interest in current advances in new technologies.
- Expertise with ftp software and servers.
- Knowledge of index systems for remote sensing imagery.
- Master’s degree in a field that involved the use of GIS.
- Master’s degree in GIS.
Submit cover letter indicating how you satisfy the minimum and desirable qualifications, UH Form 64A
(attach resume) or UH Form 64B
(enter credentials including education, experience, etc.), names of 3 professional references and official transcripts (copies acceptable, however, official transcripts will be required upon hire) to the address below. Applications may also be submitted by email at email@example.com. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
University of Hawaii at Manoa Library
Attn: Tammi Yokogawa-King
2550 McCarthy Mall
Honolulu, HI 96822