Geographer (Recent Graduate)
Department of Defense - Fort Shafter, HI 96858
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
This position is part of the Army Civilian Training, Education, and Development System (ACTEDS) and is a CIVILIAN position with the Department of Army. The incumbent will serve as an Geographer trainee with the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).
* This is a Career Program (CP) #18 position.
* Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Recent Graduates Program.
* Federal employees in Hawaii are currently entitled to receive a 12.05% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
Click here for more information on Pathways program participants. The Department of the Army Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Department of Army intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Successful applicants are placed in a dynamic, developmental program with the potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government.
After Program completion, Department of the Army Recent Graduates MAY be converted to a permanent position.
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
* Successfully complete at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
* Demonstrate successful job performance.
* Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/students-recent-graduates/#url=graduates/
Department of the Army Recent Graduates Program Eligibles
Positions are open to:
* Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years (or will complete no later than December 2016) a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
* Preference eligible veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have as much as six years after degree completion to apply.
As an Geographer (INTERN) you will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
* Assist in the collection of imagery and spatial data from local, regional, state, and federal agencies and organizations, military installations, private entities, and Architect-Engineer firms.
* Perform data entry, data creation, and geo-processing, entering map and tabular data into the GIS (Geographic Information System).
* Perform multi-layer map creation and editing, generate map and report products, and review map data for technical adequacy.
* Assist in the creation and maintenance of simple spatial and tabular, geo-referenced, relational databases.
* Assist in implementing database designs, data standards, data dictionaries, automated map libraries, and automated data validation functions.
* Attend professional meetings, seminars, workshops, and training courses to maintain state-of-the-art advances and applications in GIS.
Incumbent works under closer supervision and works in a developmentalcapacity performing assignments and completing training, both of which areaimed in preparing the incumbent to gain the knowledge and skills necessary
to perform the duties outlined in the aforementioned job description. Theincumbent receives progressively more responsible assignments as experienceand training are received to the next higher level position.
* Occasional Travel
* Up to 10% Business Travel required.
* Payment of moving expenses is authorized subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations.